Vegetarian Holiday Recipe – Hearty Greens Lasagne
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound red kale, washed, tough stems removed, and coarsely chopped (about 10 cups)
- 1 pound Swiss chard, washed, tough stems removed, and coarsely chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups crÃ¨me fraÃ®che (can substitute sour cream or plain yogurt)
- 1 (9-ounce) box no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 pound fresh ricotta
- 2 cups finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 5 ounces)
Heat the oven to 400ÂºF and arrange a rack in the middle. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. When oil shimmers, add onion, garlic, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
Add cream and a few handfuls of greens, and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly wilted. Continue adding greens, a little at a time, until all are slightly wilted. Cook, stirring occasionally, until greens are tender, completely wilted, and coated in cream, about 10 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper and remove from heat.
Spread 1 cup of the crÃ¨me fraÃ®che evenly over the bottom of a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Cover with a layer of 4 noodles, allowing them to overlap slightly. Using a slotted spoon, scoop 1/3 greens mixture from cream and evenly spread over the noodles, then cover with 1/3 of the ricotta and 1/4 of the Parmesan. Repeat to make two more layers, and end with a final layer of noodles on top. Evenly pour 1/4 cup of cream over noodles. Mix together remaining crÃ¨me fraÃ®che and Parmesan, and spread evenly over the top.
Cover with foil and bake until bubbling and starting to brown, about 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake until top is browned completely and sauce is bubbling, about 10 minutes more. Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.